I’ve read some information about reincarnation but I’m still not convinced it’s valid. I have some questions for you about the subject if you don’t mind:
1) If all we really reincarnate, why don’t we remember our past lives? Wouldn’t it be better for us to remember so we can live a better life now?
2) Assuming there is a God, why does he or she structure things so we are so spiritually ignorant? Wouldn’t it make more sense for everyone to inherently understand the cause and effect of karma?
3) If we do incarnate, who decides the location, body, parents, and experiences we will have? Who has control over this and why?
It’s good that you are not only questioning reincarnation, but investigating it too. After all, you’re in a better position to accept or reject a concept when you know more about it.
It may surprise you to know that I’m skeptical too. After countless past life regressions and spontaneous past life recollections for myself and others, I’m still learning but have formulated some beliefs that I accept until I discover information that invalidates them.
1) Most humans have lived many, many lifetimes. If you remembered all of your lifetimes, especially the not-so-pleasant experiences, it would be too difficult to focus on what’s most important; your current life and the lessons and rewards that are part of it.
At the same time, becoming aware of some of your past life experiences through past life regression can be very beneficial and allow you to experience a better life now. For example, when you understand the root cause of certain challenging situations in your life they become much easier to accept and in some cases, overcome.
2) You may not realize it, but you’re not completely in the dark about your previous lives. The talents, fears, interests and more that you were born with were honed over many lives. Most people intuitively know the difference between right and wrong. Some of that understanding is from mentors and parents, but some is from learning the hard way through direct experience in past lives. For instance, some of the kindest, most trustworthy, and most honorable people today were quite the opposite in past lives.
Yes, if we all had total spiritual awareness and everyone accepted that everything you do, say, and intend comes back to you, life on Earth would be quite different. However, we are all here to learn our lessons. Spiritual understanding comes after and because of the lessons, not before. Spiritual awareness and other talents are earned. No one is “gifted” with anything. Awareness can also be gained through mediation.
Also, many cultures today do not teach the concept of reincarnation. In fact, it’s widely ridiculed. If a 6 year-old happens to remember her past lives (which is common between the ages of 3 and 7), they are usually discouraged: “That’s just your imagination,” her parents tell her. Most people are programmed to shun the idea of reincarnation.
3) The soul, not the current personality, chooses each lifetime before birth. The soul, with the help of a spirit guide(s), chooses the most appropriate body that will have the parents, environment, friends, and specific circumstances to help you learn through direct experience and also enjoy the rewards you’ve earned. Much of this “good” and “bad” karma was created by your actions in previous lives.
Ultimately, each of us is in control of our paths by using our free will within the confines of our destiny in each life, and by spiritual work and selecting incarnations on the other side in-between lives.
We cover these topics and much more in our e-book Direct Your Destiny. You can download an introductory version of it here: http://holisticmakeover.com/index.html.
I always recommend, especially to the skeptics, to try past life regression a few times before deciding to accept or reject the theory of reincarnation. You can experience past life regression safely and privately with my MP3: http://holisticmakeover.com/Allaudios.htm.
More about how your past lives are influencing your current love life can be found in my book Your Love Life and Reincarnation: http://www.holisticmakeover.com/about_the_book.htm.
Copyright © 2012 Stephen Petullo